Charles Mahon, Earl of Stanhope (1753 - 1816), invented the first iron press in around 1803 and it was first used by William Bulmer and Co., Shakespeare Printing Office, Cleveland Row. They were originally manufactured by Robert Walker, Press Maker of Vine St., Piccadilly.
The Wai-te-ata Press at Victoria University of Wellington has number 108, dated 1813.
|Stanhope Press - from Practical Printing by John Southward|
Find us on Google Maps